The TECT Arena is designed as a simple freestanding element adjacent to the existing Baypark Speedway and Rugby stadium surrounded by existing parking.
Its function dictates the rectangular form and is expressed as simply as possible.
The entry space bisects and joins these two solid buildings, while the eastern face of the building addresses the common forecourt for both the Stadium and Arena. Ticket booths have been incorporated into the building facing this forecourt and providing ticketing for both facilities.
The building offers a variety of spaces and services to hirers:
- spaces for groups of 8 to 4,500 people
- a full range of audio and visual equipment
- appropriate power, data and HVAC
- allowance for rigging loads
- full food and beverage service ranging from a single cup of coffee to a 1,000-person banquet
Generous storage spaces add to the venue’s flexibility.
Thanks to a smoothly run project, the cost came in at $1.5m under the budget at the outset of the project.